Friday, August 7, 2009

My brother Jim

My brother Jim decided to become a farmer just like Dad. Jim was a very good farmer. It was in his blood... He loved the dirt, the smell of it, the way it feels colder just under the surface. He loved a good thunderstorm and how sometimes when it was so hot, the rain never touched the ground, it just evaporated right there in front of you. Jim passed away 10 years ago this July. I miss him every day. I can't eat a pickle without thinking of him, or dig potatoes without seeing him kneeling in the dirt with his truck door open and country music playing from the radio. His wife Joann and son Jeff still farm today. Jeff is a lot like his dad, and is also a good farmer and helps my mom & dad out when they need it. Jeff & Joann sell their produce and bedding plants at the market as well, just a few stalls down from mom & dad, and at a road side stand on Willis Road in Milan.

1 comment: